How I cook chicken and dumplings. Many, many years ago I got this Chicken and Dumpling recipe from an old cookbook. Over the years I have used this recipe to make chicken and dumplings.
My family loves homemade chicken and dumplings. They have even requested that I make chicken and dumplings for our Christmas meal instead of the traditional Christmas meal.
I double the recipe for a larger meal. Also cook in a large stock pan. That gives the dumplings room to ex-span.
- Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 4 chicken breast – Cube chicken up and boil until chicken is cooked Dumplings ingredients
- 3 Tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Cut shortening into flour, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Roll out the dough. (I like to roll out my dumplings because I don’t like fluffy dumplings), Sprinkle some flour on table and roll dough out. Extra flour helps to keep dough from sticking. Or drop dough by spoonfuls into boiling chicken broth. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have over the years.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running AND keep it ad free! Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you for your support!
Don’t miss a thing!
Sign up to get updates delivered right to your inbox.
Margarita & Stace